The Assistant Head Groundskeeper is responsible for supporting, assisting and executing the daily field maintenance operations at Carpenter Complex for all programming including but not limited to Minor League Spring Training, Extended Spring Training, Gulf Coast League, Florida Instructional League, winter baseball activities/mini camps and Phillies Phantasy Camp.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in general maintenance of four playing surfaces to Major League standards, including all side bullpens, mounds, Indoor Training Facility turf/clay, and surrounding common areas. Manage these areas in the absence of Head Groundskeeper.
- General duties to include but not limited to mowing, turf repair, trimming, edging, mound repair, field preparation/lining, and general maintenance of all clay areas.
- Assist in supervising a working staff of four (4) or more to ensure work is performed in a timely and productive manner. Manage staff accordingly in the absence of Head Groundskeeper.
- Assist with facilitating and contributing to a progressive turf management program including but limited to oversight of annual preventative maintenance initiatives, fertilization, weed control, verticutting, aerating, and top dressing efforts.
- Must have strong working knowledge and experience with irrigation systems maintenance and repair.
- Assist in the timing and set-up of all baseball activity as directed by The Phillies on-field personnel.
- Contribute to planning and oversight of non-baseball activities.
- Assist in monitoring all related field equipment inventory, parts, repairs and inspections.
- Assist in managing expenses based on budget requirements.
- Assist in scheduling of tarp pulls by monitoring daily weather patterns and communication with front office and field staff.
- Assist with all field renovation/reconstruction projects including grading, re-sodding, tilling, and drainage applications.
- Degree and/or Certificate in Turf Management, Horticulture, or related field is preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years experience in professional baseball field maintenance.
- Ability to obtain State of Florida Pesticide Application License within 90 days of hire date.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.; stand and walk for long periods of time; contribute to all tarp removal activities; ability to adapt to and work in various adverse weather conditions is required.
- Must be able to work extended hours, weekends, holidays according to baseball schedule.
- Must have ability to operate heavy machinery including but not limited to tractors, bobcats, front-end loaders, sprayers, rollers, outfield mowers, infield mowers, and Sand Pro infield drag.
- Must possess excellent time management and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Outlook, Word, Excel).
The Phillies is an Equal Opportunity Employer