The Staff Accountant will report to the Senior Accountant and will perform a variety of general accounting duties. This individual will work to support the Finance team. The focus of the position will be cash receipts processing, journal entry creation, account reconciliation, reporting and capital budgeting. Additionally, this position will be primarily responsible for billing / collections, Events DC Capital Budgeting/Draw submissions and will enter transactions into Microsoft Dynamics GP and the banking system on a daily basis. The Staff Accountant will maintain accounting records for all work done in an orderly functional manner.
Prepare month end reconciliations for assigned accounts. Assist with preparation of Baseball reconciliations as needed. Lastly, assist in maintaining the sponsorship billing schedule and prepare invoices in accordance with the schedule. Other miscellaneous invoicing as needed.
Washington Nationals Stadium including Ballpark Enterprises:
Prepare the month end reconciliations for assigned accounts as well as cash receipts processing and reporting. Enter transactions into Great Plains and the banking system on a daily basis. Prepare invoices as needed.
Capital Budgeting / Events DC:
Assist with the preparation of the annual capital budget for the team as well as the annual submission to Events DC. Assist in preparation of periodic draw submissions in accordance with our lease. Ensure capital purchase and service requisitions are within budget, coded properly and tracked.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with preparing and maintaining Revenue Worksheets – gather various revenue support documents daily and update the revenue worksheets on a daily and monthly basis. This includes ticketing, parking, concessions, , retail, etc.
- Review and book daily bank transactions relating to Washington Nationals Stadium and Ballpark Enterprises and report any discrepancies. These bank transactions include cash and check deposits, game cash and credit card parking receipts, and cash and credit card retail receipts.
- Enter daily financial transactions into the general ledger. Maintain general ledgers, recording the status of various accounts. Reconcile and report on various ledger accounts as required.
- Prepare invoices for stadium operations, ballpark events, as well as team sponsorships and provide collection updates accordingly.
- Interact primarily with Accounting; you will also have contact with both internal and external customers, inclusive of headquarters Treasury Group.
- Month end / Year end close
- Prepare revenue recognition for both Stadium and Enterprises including monthly concessions and retail settlement activity.
- Prepare assigned balance sheet reconciliations.
- Prepare various schedules and reports for month end closing.
- Prepare various journal entries and accruals as needed.
- Assist with monthly review of Budget to Actuals variances in budgeting software & liaise with outside departments to ensure expenses are properly recorded & within budget.
- Assist outside accounting firm with reconciliations, work papers, etc., as necessary during the interim and the year end audit
- Fixed Assets
- Assist in the reconciliation of the Fixed Asset System to the General Ledger monthly
- Assist in accounting for the disposition of fixed assets to ensure the asset disposal process has been followed, including research into ownership of the asset.
- Assist with preparation of spreadsheets for periodic physical inventories to be completed by fixed asset custodians.
- Capital Budgeting:
- Prepare, coordinate and assist with the preparation of the annual capital budget.
- Maintain budget and track actual dollars spent to ensure we do not go over budget.
- Ensure purchase and service requisitions are properly coded
- Events DC
- Assist in preparing the annual Events DC budget in accordance with our lease.
- Assist in preparing and maintaining our annual 3/5yr capital improvement plan in accordance with our lease
- Assist in preparing our periodic request sent to Events DC requesting reimbursement for monies spent per the approved annual budget.
- Perform monthly analysis of Loaded Tickets used in the stadium and report on any system reporting discrepancies.
- Assist in the preparation of the DC & FL property tax returns
- Assist in preparation of yearly census data
- Prepare an annual internal audit schedule for the retail and parking operations and perform and document such audits. Prepare a monthly report of the audit results.
- Assist with any retail related projects and reconciliations.
- Assist with the preparation and financial reporting duties of any large scale events. This will include projections, settlements, expense tracking, reconciling revenue, and financial results. This may also include settling with the event promotors the day/night of the event.
- Assist in the annual operating budgeting process as needed
- Any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Senior Accountants, Director of Finance, Senior Director of Financial Reporting, VP of Finance and the CFO
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and a minimum of 2 yrs. accounting experience
- Proficient in MS Office applications
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Demonstrate practical knowledge in all areas of job responsibilities
- Solid accounting skills and a strong knowledge of GAAP
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with all departments and all levels of personnel within the site and the corporate office
- Demonstrate initiative, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to work non-standard hours on occasion
- Proficient skills in computer including experience with MS Office products such as Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. and ability to learn and master new software programs
- Excellent oral communication and customer service problem solving skills
- Strong ability to create and thrive in a team environment
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.