General Role Description: The primary goal of this position is to maintain an elite playing surface for Revolution games and other events at PeoplesBank Park. The Head Groundskeeper bears ultimate responsibility for the aesthetics and playability of the surface, and manages all personnel, including grounds assistants, interns and game day staff in performing field maintenance. The Head Groundskeeper is responsible for applying appropriate fertilization and treatments of the playing surface, maintenance of all grounds equipment, ordering supplies and equipment using the purchase order system, and adhering to all applicable safety regulations in conducting their responsibilities. This position reports directly to the Facility and Baseball Operations Manager, and secondarily to the General Manager.
Key Role Accountabilities:
- Primary responsibility is to maintain the playing surface suitable for a professional baseball organization at PeoplesBank Park.
- Conduct field maintenance tasks, including but not limited to, mowing, edging, mound and plate area maintenance, infield skin treatment, and fertilization and other treatments.
- Maintain field irrigation and drainage systems in working order, and irrigate the playing surface as needed.
- Place orders for supplies and equipment in accordance with both the Revolution purchase ordering system and budgetary guidelines.
- Maintain existing equipment for the Grounds Department, including mower maintenance and maintenance of all other equipment included utility vehicle, sprayer, aerator, sweepers and any other motorized tools.
- Maintain the grounds shop in a neat and orderly fashion to allow for storage of grounds department equipment and supplies as well as front office promotional supplies.
- Report to the Director of Operations and General Manager on a weekly basis on operational tasks and challenges.
- Identify obstacles in maintaining the playing surface at a professional level, and seek solutions to overcoming obstacles with the advice and consent of the Director of Operations and the General Manager.
- Manage assistant grounds keeper, seasonal interns, and game day staff in maintaining a professional sports athletic surface. Conduct training for all personnel, complete staffing schedules, and ensure that these subordinate employees adhere to Revolution standards in uniform, employment guidelines, and attitude.
- Adhere to all applicable OSHA safety regulations in conducting job responsibilities and chemical/fuel storage.
- Winterize field, grounds shop and irrigation system prior to the winter starting each season.
- Manage tarping of the field to preserve the playing surface, including training tarp team members and notifying appropriate front office personnel when tarp is required to be placed or removed from the field.
- Closely monitor weather conditions and radar and consults with the Director of Operations, General Manager and on-field personnel when inclement weather is approaching or imminent.
- Consult with the Field Manager to ensure all team activities are executed including game events, batting practice for home and visiting teams, additional practice sessions as needed, all spring training activities, and maintenance of the bullpen and field mounds.
- Attend planning and “game day” meetings to coordinate field access for sales, fame promotion and other game–day events with baseball preparation needs.
- Work cooperatively with the Special Events Director to accommodate all non-Revolution baseball games and non-baseball events in a manner that preserves the playing surface.
- Assist General Manager, Director of Operations and Special Events Director in planning appropriate field protection when required to preserve the playing surface.
Requirements of All Associates
- Applies best efforts and full capability each day to the work assigned by own manager.
- Advises manager when:
- An assignment is not understood.
- An assignment conflicts with knowledge of the circumstances, current skills or available time/resources.
- Obstacles to completing the assignment exist or are likely to occur.
- Opportunities to better complete or improve the assignment exist or may occur.
- Understands and demonstrates our cultural expectations.
- Assists with operational or non-department related tasks as requested by manager.
- Continues to build on knowledge of the business and industry.
- Assist with the field tarp as required by the General Manager.
- Other related duties as required.
Minimum Role Requirements
College degree and at least two years of experience in field maintenance.
A minimum 40 hour week and 8 hour Monday-Friday work schedule is required of all full time employees during the off-season. This schedule will include some weekend hours for special events as determined by the Director of Marketing, General Manager or the President.
Work hours during the baseball season will exceed 60 hours per week and 12+ hours per day on game days including evenings and weekends. The baseball season work schedule may also include 7 or more consecutive work days.
Physical Demands will require the employee to stand, walk, sit, use hands, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities of the job include close vision, distance and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee experiences significant exposure to the sun, and will be working in cold and warm temperature extremes. The noise level in the work environment when operating machinery can exceed OSHA recommended safety levels, and protective hearing equipment must be used in those circumstances. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.