The Long Island Ducks, all-time attendance leaders in the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball, have an immediate opening for the position of Head Groundskeeper. The Head Groundskeeper is responsible for the overall upkeep and maintenance of the Fairfield Properties Ballpark playing field, home of the Long Island Ducks Professional Baseball Team. The head groundskeeper will provide a field that complies with the specifications for a safe, aesthetically pleasing playing surface as set forth by The Atlantic League of Professional Baseball, Minor League Baseball, and the Long Island Ducks. This position reports directly to the team President/GM.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute all field preparations and duties, including but not limited to turf management, fertilization, edging, base area, home plate and mound preparation, warning track maintenance, and infield surface maintenance.
- Prepare the playing field for practice on game days and facilitate the set-up and breakdown of all equipment, including batting cage, screens, turf mats for the daily practice and pre-game schedule.
- Prepare the field in a high quality and efficient manner for all other non-Ducks events (camps, clinics, outside events) that involve the field of play.
- Oversee tarp placement and post-game field and turf maintenance as necessary and monitor weather conditions to protect the field as needed in cooperation with team President/GM.
- Responsible for maintaining high quality equipment in order to extend their useful life while minimizing repair and replacement costs. Groundskeeper will have a repair and maintenance budget as well as third party vendor to work with (Malvese Equipment).
- Prepare and perform off-season field maintenance and stadium program.
- Assist the Stadium Operations Director with various stadium operation duties related to the upkeep of ballpark in offseason.
- Work with a diverse vendor group to insure fairest pricing for quality field products while keeping purchases within budget guidelines.
- Recruit, train and supervise part-time game day field maintenance personnel. (Some gameday staff for 2022 already hired).
- Other duties as assigned by the President/General Manager
Ideal candidate will have an Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Field/Turf Management or a related field and previous experience maintaining a baseball field. Position to be filled immediately. Highly competitive salary/benefits, great perks!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.