*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Operations Supervisor directs, manages, supervises and coordinates event setup activities and operations for the facility and provides responsible staff assistance to the Director of Event Operations.
Spectra, an industry leader in sports, entertainment and venue management, is dedicated to recruiting and developing individuals with the skills, experience, desire, and values to contribute to the continued growth and success of our organization. Together, with our 250+ sports & entertainment venue partners, we transform events into experiences! These experiences create excitement, turn heads, and make memories. Come Join Us! You can learn more about Spectra at www.spectraexperiences.com/
- Assume management responsibility for all services and activities involved in the operations of all venue and exhibition & convention spaces
- Interview, select, train, coach, evaluate, and discipline full and part time staff. Position will deliver a termination with approval.
- Provide staff training for all employees and temporary workers
- Deliver and follow up on Performance Improvement procedures on a timely basis
- Ensure staff is working safely and are aware of proper safety guidelines
- Responsible to understand, comply with and execute parameters of Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Lead / coordinate staff training and safety programs
- Mentor / coach employees to correct deficiencies; present/discuss discipline and termination procedures in a timely fashion, work with Human Resources as required.
- Assist or lead planning, directing, coordinating and review of work plans for facility operations
- Review and understand event documents to forecast staffing and equipment needs for all Arena & Convention events.
- Participate in the development and administration of the Operations budget; forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures and implement adjustments as necessary within assigned responsibilities. Provide recommendations / improvements.
- Coordinate facility arrangements with concessionaires and AV
- Oversee, monitor changeover and housekeeping crews, provide team support as required.
- Schedule appropriate changeover and housekeeping crew for a large group of employees accurately and efficiently and adjust/notify employees of updates / changes as necessary
- Maintains departmental equipment; notify Operations Manager when repairs are needed
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external clients to provide a positive employee climate.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two (2) or more years’ experience in an operations position in an arena, convention center, public assembly facility or similar location; with knowledge of set up/housekeeping and event coordination
- An advanced degree in Facility Management or related field may be substituted for years of experience
- Basic computer skills in a Windows format including typing, data entry and email
- Ability to effectively operate a company provided cell phone for phone, email, text.
- Advanced computer skills and experience with MS Word, Outlook, Excel preferred
- Ability to effectively lead a team and manage in a fast paced, high pressure environment
- Knowledge of OSHA standards / requirements
- Forklift certification or ability to acquire within 90 days of employment
- Possess superior interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in the English language, both orally and in writing
- Self-motivated and excellent organizational skills
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License preferred
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work long hours including a varied schedule of days, nights, weekends and holidays
INTELLECTUAL/SOCIAL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is continuously asked to multi-task under time constraints and with moderate to high pressure situations. Position requires constant attention to precise details and accuracy of specified standards including: following verbal, written or diagram instruction, following simple to complex (more than 3 steps) instructions, and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time. Employee in this role will constantly be in leadership role; this requires directing others either verbally or in writing to complete tasks in prescribed time frame. This position also requires frequent use of interpersonal skills including: ability to direct/motivate/inform staff and foster collaboration, being able to recognize and resolve conflicts, being able to openly communicate in writing and verbally with clients. Constant use of the English language verbally, written or reading to read company information and communicate to teams. Frequent use of company provided cell phone, desk phone. Constant use of company radio for communication. Ability to hear and respond quickly in high pressure situations to radio requests from employees, security, etc.
While performing duties of this job, the employee occasionally lifts and moves facility equipment and/or tools. Employee will frequently move about inside and outside various areas of the large facility before/during/after events to interact with internal/external clients and supervise the work of employees. Position will require employee to occasionally bend, stoop, or crouch in order to evaluate and inspect equipment and building infrastructure. Employee will as needed operate fork lift and high lift in assessment of and maintenance of the building and equipment. Employee will occasionally be required to identify or match colors/tones of furniture, dance floor, carpet or other items as necessary. Employee will frequently operate a computer and other office devices such as calculators, telephones, copy machines and printers; employee will constantly communicate via telephone, email and in-person with others and exchange accurate information. Employee will frequently lift 30 lbs; occasionally lift up to 75 pounds; and push/pull 150 pounds, as business demands required.
The duties of this position are performed primarily indoors and occasionally outdoors in the weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal to moderate during non-event days and when not operating equipment; and moderate to loud during event days when equipment is in operation. The work environment is consistently cool (cold) when ice rink is in place seasonally. Exposure to crowds with thousands of people in attendance, crowded or tight spaces, high elevation, consistently loud workspaces, and freight elevators.
SPECTRA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT EMPLOYER.