The Director of Sales will fulfill the leadership role in developing and cultivating the sales efforts at the DECC. They will be responsible for creating the sales vision for the team, have the skills and ability to successfully communicate the team goals and support the sales managers in meeting the desired goals. This position is responsible for the overall tasks related to Sales for the facility and will also lead the group in establishing goals, procedures and daily duties.
A successful DOS will be challenged to make independent decisions with the support and guidance of a collaborative group including the GM, AGM, Directors, and colleagues at the Center. Strong industry knowledge, superior negotiating skills, understanding of revenue management and a mindset of “people first” will be key factors for the right candidate.
The DOS will embody the strong, positive culture at the DECC where we strive to support and celebrate every individual contribution. Our diversity and differences make us stronger, and illustrate the OVG360 focus on inclusion and sustainability.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities of all Sales programs and activities
- Assume management responsibility for all services and activities of the Sales Department within the facility including sales tools and materials, proposals, sales calls and contracts
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate all sales team members; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures, if required
- Participate in the development and administration of the annual budget; forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; direct the monitoring of and approve expenditures; direct and implement adjustments as necessary
- Prepare written proposals; reevaluate potential business value of various events and clients; initiate contractual arrangements
- Conduct tours of facility for potential licensees; answer questions and provide information regarding facility capabilities
- Meets with General Manager on a regular basis to discuss all matters pertaining to sales operations
- Design and implement sales missions, blitzes or travel to key markets
- Travel to regional areas throughout the year in search of new business, 4-6 business trips annually, on average
- Create and work within departmental operating budget
- Responsible for all revenue generation through selling event space at the Center
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Minimum of seven (7) years of increasingly responsible sales experience for an arena, convention center, sports franchise, hotel or other similar public assembly or hospitality facility, including supervisory responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree or better from an accredited college or university with major course works in liberal arts, Business Administration, or a related field or commensurate years of experience in the field
- Ability to work event nights, weekends and holidays as required
- Has a strong track record of building relationships and generating new business
- Excellent organizational skills, leadership skills, customer service skills
- Enthusiastic and positive thinker
- Strong PC and data processing skills; working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, as well as database management software