OVG Facilities is looking for an energetic and experienced Vice President of Convention Center Sales and Operations for the newly expanded and renovated Lexington Convention Center within the campus of the Central Bank Center. Upon completion in Spring 2022, Central Bank Center will have over 200,000 sf of flexible meeting and event space. Conveniently located in the center of downtown Lexington and within a day’s drive of 75% of the country’s population, the Central Bank Center is a beautiful and versatile multi-purpose event facility.
The Vice President of Convention Center Sales and Operations will be primarily responsible for overall management, promotion, and operation of the convention center while also contributing significantly to the operations of the Central Bank Center. This position supports the General Manager in all aspects of facility and event management for Central Bank Center including staff leadership, policy formulation, building operations and maintenance, convention center booking and management, marketing, food and beverage, purchasing, budgeting, and client relations.
- Maintains active contact with the Client/Contract Administrator and ensures compliance with all provisions of the services contract.
- Aggressively promotes the use of the facility to maximize its utilization.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the Client/Contract Administrator, boards, tenants, government departments and agencies, convention industry, community and civic organizations to encourage continual and regular use of the facility.
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: matters of training and development; quality assurance; energy efficiency; safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as needed.
- Develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the management contract, the Client's objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice.
- Prepares and maintains required and necessary reports/records for the Client/Contract Administrator and for the Corporate Office.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and assists the General Manager in directing all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facility.
- Assists and coordinates with the development of the annual operating calendar, activity schedules, projections for attendance and/or revenue.
- Negotiates lease agreements as determined necessary and in the best interests of the facility.
- Negotiates contracts and agreements with event organizers, meeting planners and show owners.
- Conducts weekly staff meetings
- Directs the development and administers the execution of operating and marketing financial plans and documents; to include, operating revenue and expense budgets; capital expense plans and budgets.
- Provides guidance of day-to-day operations; assuring the coordination of plans, programs and events; conducts post-event operational and financial review and analysis.
- Oversees and advises Human Resources on any necessary modifications to the staffing plans, including number and types of employees, essential functions, salaries, and benefits.
- Assures the administration of personnel and the operation of plant and facilities are conducted in accordance with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Evaluates facility practices and recommends improvements to better reflect the needs of the Client and the facility, and/or to improve the efficiency and safety of operations, in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating administrative and supervisory staff within the convention center.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the tenants, employees, union representatives, community, and the general public.
- Minimum 5+ years of venue management in a convention center, conference center or other similar facility
- Strong leader and with excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required
- Ability to work simultaneously with a broad variety of vested interest groups and to foster a cooperative environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices used in the successful management of convention facilities of a similar description
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the hospitality industry
- Significant knowledge of event solicitation and presentation, public relations, advertising and media relations and event planning
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations
- Strong emphasis towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting, and convention industry
- Knowledge of facility operating standards, building maintenance, custodial, personnel and office management
- Effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with human resource and personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent work experiences
- Proficiency with data processing, Ungerboeck Software and MS Office applications
- Ability to work nights, all events, weekends, and holidays as required