The General Manager will be responsible for overall management, promotion and operation of the facilities, including contracting, purchasing, booking, marketing, finance, human resources, event management/operations, food and beverage (3rd Party), box office, capital project planning, advertising, security, production, maintenance, and related operations by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates. The General Manger is accountable for the development of policies, procedures, and programs for achieving the goals set for by Navy Pier, Inc. (NPI) and OVG360. The position reports directly to the Regional Vice President, OVG360.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains active contact with the Client/Contract Administrator. Monitors OVG360’s compliance with all provisions of the management contract.
- Aggressively promotes the use of the facilities to maximize their utilization.
- Negotiates lease agreements as determined necessary and in the best interests of the facilities.
- Negotiates contracts and agreements with event organizers, meeting planners, promoters and agents for all managed spaces.
- Responsible for working directly with promoters, artist agents and managers to book concerts, family shows and other ticketed and non-ticketed events at the Sportscenter’
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with Client/Contract Administrator, tenants, government departments and agencies, entertainment/convention industry, community and civic organizations to encourage continual and regular use of the facility.
- Coordinates facility involvement with Convention and Visitors Bureau, as well as other appropriate destination marketing agencies.
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: matters of training and development; quality assurance; energy efficiency; safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas needed.
- Develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the management contract, the client’s objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice.
- Prepares and maintains required and necessary reports/records for the Client/Contract Administrator and for the Corporate Office.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facilities.
- Assists and coordinates with the development of the annual operating calendar, activity schedules, and projections for the attendance and/or revenue.
- Conducts marketing, budgeting and weekly staff meetings.
- Directs the development and administers the execution of operating and marketing financial plans and documents; to include, operating revenue and expense budgets; capital expense plans budgets.
- Provides for control of day-to-day operations; assuring the coordination of plan, programs and events; conducts post-event operational financial review and analysis.
- Provides final approval of all contracts and agreements with suppliers, promoters, and tenants for necessary activities and services at the facilities.
- Provides or coordinates for timely and effective response to directives and requests received from internal and external organizations, agencies, departments and individuals; assures and maintains the integrity of the facility and Spectra in all forms of communication and personal contacts.
- Oversees and advises Human Resources on any necessary revisions/modification to the staffing plans, including number and types of employees, essential functions, salaries, and benefits.
- Assures the administration of personnel and the operation of plant and facilities are conducted in accordance with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Evaluates facility practices and recommends improvements to better reflect the needs of the Client and the facilities, and/or to improve the efficiency and safety of operation, in compliance with OVG360 policies and procedures.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating administrative and supervisory staff.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with tenants, employees, union representatives and the general public.
Manages subordinate Directors and Managers who supervise employees in the Finance, Marketing, Event Operations, Food & Beverage (3rd Party) Departments or other facility departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Spectra’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- A dynamic leader with visionary abilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability.
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as required by event schedule.
- Ability to work simultaneously with a broad variety of vested interest groups and to foster a cooperative environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices used in the successful management of convention and arena facilities.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and be internet proficient.
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action.
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the entertainment industry.
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations.
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting, convention and entertainment industry.
- Strong knowledge of budgeting, sales/marketing, event management, facility operating standards, building maintenance, custodial, personnel and office management.
- Effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with human resource and personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions.
- Ability to manage facilities of same size and type.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA) from a four-year accredited college or university with major course work in business or public administration or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years progressively responsible experience as a convention center GM in a 1st or 2nd tier destination or an AGM in a major convention center or GM or a major convention hotel.
- Or, equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in contract negotiation, business law, purchasing procedures, and supervising personnel.
- Experience in labor relations and union contracts, if applicable.
Experience in and/or detailed knowledge of the convention, meetings, exhibition, tradeshow and arena industry.