*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The International Exposition Center, better known as the I-X Center it's re-opening! We are looking for a General Manager to join our team! The General Manager will be responsable for the overall management, promotion and operation of the facility, including sales, marketing, finance, human resources, food and beverage, advertising, security, event operations, maintenance, parking and related operations by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
Spectra, an industry leader in sports, entertainment and venue management, is dedicated to recruiting and developing individuals with the skills, experience, desire, and values to contribute to the continued growth and success of our organization. Together, with our 250+ sports & entertainment venue partners, we transform events into experiences! These experiences create excitement, turn heads, and make memories. Come Join Us! You can learn more about Spectra at www.spectraexperiences.com/
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains active contact with the Client/Contract Administrator. Monitors Spectra’s compliance with all provisions of the management contract.
- Aggressively promotes the use of the facility to maximize its utilization.
- Negotiates lease agreements as determined necessary and in the best interests of the facility.
- Negotiates contracts and agreements with event organizers, hosts, managers and agents.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with Client/Contract Administrator, tenants, government departments and agencies, entertainment/convention industry, community and civic organizations to encourage continual and regular use of the facility.
- Coordinates facility involvement with Convention and Visitors Bureau, as well as other appropriate destination marketing agencies.
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: matters of training and development; quality assurance; energy efficiency; safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas needed.
- Develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the management contract, the client’s objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice.
- Prepares and maintains required and necessary reports/records for the Client/Contract Administrator and for the Corporate Office.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facility.
- Assists and coordinates with the development of the annual operating calendar, activity schedules, and projections for the attendance and/or revenue.
- Conducts marketing, budgeting and weekly staff meetings.
- Directs the development and administers the execution of operating and marketing financial plans and documents; to include, operating revenue and expense budgets; capital expense plans budgets.
- Provides for control of day-to-day operations; assuring the coordination of plan, programs and events; conducts post-event operational financial review and analysis.
- Provides final approval of all contracts and agreements with suppliers, promoters, and tenants for necessary activities and services at the facility.
- Provides or coordinates for timely and effective response to directives and requests received from internal and external organizations, agencies, departments and individuals; assures and maintains the integrity of the facility and Spectra in all forms of communication and personal contacts.
- Oversees and advises Human Resources on any necessary revisions/modification to the staffing plans, including number and types of employees, essential functions, salaries, and benefits.
- Assures the administration of personnel and the operation of plant and facilities are conducted in accordance with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Evaluates facility practices and recommends improvements to better reflect the needs of the Client and the facility, and/or to improve the efficiency and safety of operation, in compliance with Spectra policies and procedures.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating administrative and supervisory staff.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with tenants, employees, union representatives and the general public.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Manages subordinate Directors and Managers who supervise employees in the Finance, Marketing, Operation, Food & Beverage Departments or other facility departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Spectra’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree or better from an accredited college or university in Business/Hospitality Management or related field.
- Minimum of ten (10) years management experience in an Arena, Convention Center, Hotel or other facility of similar size and description.
- Or, equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in contract negotiation, business law, purchasing procedures, and supervising personnel.
- Experience in labor relations and union contracts, if applicable.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability.
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required.
- Ability to work simultaneously with a broad variety of vested interest groups and to foster a cooperative environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices used in the successful management of entertainment or convention facilities of a similar description.
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action.
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the entertainment industry.
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations.
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for live events, meetings, conventions and entertainment industry.
- Basic knowledge of facility operating standards, building maintenance, custodial, personnel and office management.
- Effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with human resource and personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions.
- Ability to manage a facility of same size and type.
- Ability to apply conflict resolution and problem-solving skills in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to express ideas clearly through both oral and written communication
- Knowledge of budget preparation and control
- Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, volunteers, management staff and guests in a clear, professional and courteous manner which fosters a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
- Ability to make sound business/operations decisions quickly and under pressure.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; knowledge of Spreadsheets and Word Processing and standard office equipment is required.
- Ability to consistently adhere to the highest standards of integrity, professionalism, ethics and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently with little direction.
Spectra is an equal opportunity employer and our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, handicap, marital status, or any other status or condition protected by Federal and/or State laws, except where bona fide occupational qualifications apply.