Assistant General Manager with Coachella Valley Arena in Coachella Valley · CA
Coachella Valley Arena jobs
Sports Jobs in Coachella Valley · CA
Administration/General Management: General Management/Profit & Loss
Founded in 2015 by Tim Leiweke and Irving Azoff, Oak View Group (OVG) is the largest developer of new arenas in the world with over $4.5 billion worth of projects underway in Seattle, Belmont Park, Austin, Savannah, Palm Springs, Milan, and Manchester (U.K.). The company has over 500 employees across five offices around the globe.
We are here to be a positive disruption to business as usual in the sports and live entertainment industry. At OVG, we own the space between the “What If” and the “How To.” We believe it is not enough to consider what our clients could be, we build businesses by dreaming of the impossible while thinking strategically and how to execute flawlessly. The status quo is our adversary.
We never forget that we are fans first and every decision we make is through that lens. It is that unique perspective that drives our passion for innovating and improving the live experience.
OVG is currently comprised of nine different business divisions that operate with one common goal in mind – to be a positive disruption. Each division is comprised of industry veterans who built their careers and reputations on the premise of leaving somewhere better and stronger than where they found it. Our immense practical and first-hand knowledge fosters an environment of trust, collaboration, and ingenuity. Humility is at our core. We do not strive to be the biggest – we strive to earn the respect of the industry and our clients through the world-class work that we do and we take pride in being the best. Visit www.oakviewgroup.com to learn more about our company.
ABOUT COACHELLA VALLEY ARENA:
America’s hottest music festival destination is finally getting the world-class arena it deserves. Opening in the Fall of 2022, the Coachella Valley Arena will provide the greater Palm Springs area of Southern California with a premiere 11,500+ seat venue to host the biggest artists and acts on the planet. Designed specifically for hockey and concerts, the new arena will provide top-tier hospitality, artist amenities, and all of the benefits of a modern music and sports venue. In addition, the facility will serve as the new home of the American Hockey League affiliate of the Seattle Kraken.
The Coachella Valley Arena is a $250+ million project that is being 100% privately funded through outstanding partners Oak View Group, Live Nation, and the NHL Seattle.
We are building a championship organization that serves our fans, community, and business partners through exceptional sports and entertainment. We believe that Winning Matters, our Fans come first, with risk comes reward, great teams can achieve unimaginable results, and honoring the culture and diversity of the cities that make up the Coachella Valley in Southern California.
The Assistant General Manager is responsible for developing and ensuring the implementation of departmental strategic plans and supporting business plans in the organization’s Marketing, Booking, Ticketing, F&B, Finance, Grounds, Custodial, Event Production, Security, Conversion and Ice Operations departments with a focus on maximizing the number of events and their revenue opportunities and creating the ultimate fan experience for the arena and practice/community ice facility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Aggressively promotes the use of the facility to maximize its utilization
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the boards, tenants, government departments and agencies, entertainment/convention industry, community and civic organizations to encourage continual and regular use of the facility
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include matters of training and development; quality assurance; energy efficiency; safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as needed.
- Develops and implements facility goals in accordance with corporate policy and good business practice.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facility.
- Committed to a diverse and inclusive arena workforce supporting a positive employee culture that reflects OVG’s reputation in the industry.
- Oversee and provide strategic leadership to the Security department responsible for ensuring appropriate levels of security, safety, privacy, and recovery of company assets
- Act as one of the primary Executives on Duty at all events held at arena
- Oversee and provide strategic leadership to the Maintenance and Custodial departments responsible for the effective cleanliness, safety & security, OSHA reporting, operation and maintenance of arena/practice facility and related equipment
- Continually evaluates the quality of the fan experience by firsthand observation, objective feedback and interaction
- Develop, manage, and execute the corporate capital plan for arena and training center
- In collaboration with other members of the leadership team, develop and foster integrated initiatives that promote the ultimate concert, hockey, and basketball experience
- Assists and coordinates with the development of the annual operating calendar, activity schedules, projections for attendance and/or revenue
- Directs the development and administers the execution of operating and marketing financial plans and documents; to include operating revenue and expense budgets; capital expense plans and budgets
- Provides for control of day-to-day operations; assuring the coordination of plans, programs and events; conducts post-event operational and financial review and analysis
- Provides or coordinates for timely and effective response to directives and requests received from internal and external organizations, agencies, departments and individuals; assures and maintains the integrity of the facility in all forms of communication and personal contacts
- Advises Human Resources on any necessary revisions/modifications to the staffing plans, including number and types of employees, essential functions, salaries, and benefits
- Assures the administration of personnel and the operation of plant and facilities are conducted in accordance with applicable local, state and federal regulations
- Evaluates facility practices and recommends improvements to better reflect the needs of arena clients and the facility, and/or to improve the efficiency and safety of operations, in compliance with policies and procedures
- Responsible for recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating administrative and supervisory staff
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the tenants, employees, union representatives and the general public
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- 10+ years’ experience in a senior leadership role at a large sports and/or music entertainment venue
- Bachelor’s degree or better from an accredited college or university in Business/Hospitality Management or related field
- Graduate of IAVM Public Assembly Facility Management School preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of facility operations, budget preparation and personnel management
- Ability to apply conflict resolution and problem-solving skills in a team-oriented environment
- Experience in relationship management including sports team ownership, sports leagues, F&B providers, promoters, Ticketmaster and other partners
- Proven ability to think strategically with a willingness to roll up sleeves and execute on projects
- Must be adaptable with the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an expert ability to present and communicate new ideas and concepts
- Exceptional experience in leading, motivating and developing employees
- Experience recruiting events, tournaments, and other special events
- A high degree of personal integrity and consistently put the interests of the organization first
- Strong ability to support creative ideation to enhance brand equity while supporting company culture, values and objectives
- Must be a fierce communicator and cross-organizational collaborator
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the entertainment industry
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations including OSHA
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting, convention and entertainment industry
- Effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with human resource and personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions
Preferred Experience & Qualifications:
- Senior Level Management Experience with managing venues and events in a stadium or concert setting of a similar size (11,500+ seats) is highly desirable
- Experience in a management role during the grand opening or major renovation of an arena or stadium is highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA) and manage a non-union and unionized workforce
- Travel (<20% travel): May be required to travel. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule inclusive of weekends, nights and holidays required
- Frequent bending, lifting 25-35 pounds, sitting, exposure to multiple external elements, extensive walking through the building including inclines and stairs
Oak View Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How did you hear about this job?
How many years have you worked in an Arena, Stadium, and/or Theatre?
Which entertainment and/or sports venues have you worked? Please include specific venues names