In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
To oversee the direction of the kitchen’s daily activities in accordance with OVG policies and objectives to ensure guest satisfaction, profitability and a positive, productive and compliant work environment. Responsible for assisting the Executive Chef with the overall kitchen operations, including food and labor cost controls. The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for the effective management and operation of the public food culinary team including event planning support, scheduling, food preparation and production, food cost control, compliance with food safety and sanitation policies, cleaning, kitchen safety, employee training and supervision, and any other tasks assigned by the GM or Executive Chef.
The Executive Sous Chef will provide oversight and resolution responsibility for employee performance issues. The Executive Sous Chef must provide a high level of event oversight, culinary proficiency and operational/personnel support to ensure the smooth running of any assigned event. A critical function of the Executive Sous Chef will be to actively mentor, train and help employees meet company quality standards, and to promote a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
This is a key position for the effective and profitable operation of the business. The Executive Sous Chef must maintain excellent attendance and be available to work a variable event-driven schedule which to evenings and weekends. Open availability, professional presentation, outstanding interpersonal skills and self-direction required.
This role will pay a salary of $70,000 to $80,000.
For FT roles: Benefits: Health, Dental and Vision insurance, 401(k) savings plan, 401(k) matching, and paid time off (vacation days, sick days, and 11 holidays).
- Ensures budgeted food percentages are achieved through effective control measures including portion controls, kitchen timings, food inventory rotation measures, receiving and food storage procedures, inventory controls, effective purchasing procedures, kitchen security procedures and waste control for all Pubic Food Events.
- Controls labor costs through effective scheduling of Public Foods kitchen staff, cross-training and development of employees.
- Ensures that the purchasing and preparation of all food products meet OVG’ standards of quality and consistency. Responsible for the development of menus, ensuring quality, consistency and style of concept are maintained. Monitors production of food preparation ensuring recipe specifications, portion controls and kitchen timings are met. Monitors all food served relative to appearance, temperature, sanitary and quality standards.
- Supervises all line set-up, prep and breakdown activities. Responsible for in-service delegation of tasks to line personnel.
- Coordinates the storage, maintenance and repair of all kitchen equipment to ensure operational readiness.
- Assists with the delivery and set-up of catered services and food service areas as needed.
- Training and development, including departmental orientation of new employees. Provides leadership and support to the entire kitchen staff; builds morale and encourages empowerment of staff.
- Maintains a positive and compliant employee relations climate. Responsible for staffing, training, evaluation and counseling of Public Foods kitchen staff. Promotes support and communication with entire staff. Positively interacts with front of house staff. Rapidly solves problems.
- Ensures compliance with health, sanitation, safety and employment regulations by clearly communicating and reinforcing standards and procedures to kitchen staff.
- Assists the Executive Chef in fulfilling kitchen record keeping and administrative requirements including food inventories and invoicing of food products. Responsible for organizing employee work schedules, ensuring appropriate coverage for all kitchen areas.
- Promotes teamwork among staff through effective communication, follow through and goal setting. Leads by example and thorough instruction to effectively obtain quality management of product, service and philosophy of concept.
- Technical proficiency and experience demonstrating verifiable knowledge of food preparation methods.
- Ability to positively interact with diverse personalities, including co-workers, subordinates, guests and purveyors in a variety of work situations. Must have active listening and effective communication skills.
- Ability to develop results-oriented staff through effective training, evaluation, motivation, coaching and counseling. Ability to assist others in developing needed skills for effective job performance.
- Ability to positively distribute responsibility to others to meet objectives and achieve desired results.
- Ability to recognize problems and to creatively and expeditiously find solutions. Ability to set priorities and use initiative; solid decision-maker.
- Ability to be detail-oriented, multi-task and effectively prioritize in a continuously changing environment.
- Ability to be self-directed while working in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; able and willing to work nights, weekends and long hours.
- Minimum of 2-3 years kitchen management experience in a full service restaurant or events venue.
- Demonstrated and verifiable track record of meeting projected costs.
- Professional appearance and presentation required.
- Knowledge of and skill in using computer software, including MS Word/Excel/Outlook.
- Maintains a current Food Handler’s card and alcohol service permit if required by state or local government.
- Working knowledge of employee scheduling in a hospitality environment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certification in a nationally recognized sanitation program