In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
The Director of Event Services will oversee the Events and Guest Services Departments for the Cox Business Convention Center. This individual will manage every aspect of front of house operations in the facility from the advance planning stages through the end of the event. This position will recruit, train, motivate, and evaluate all event and guest services staff. This person will also coordinate police presence and local public safety officials with Security to ensure events run smoothly; coordinate communication between event related staff and delegate assignments and be responsible for overall customer and lessee satisfaction.
This role will pay a salary of $70,000 to $100,000.
For FT roles: Benefits: Health, Dental and Vision insurance, 401(k) savings plan, 401(k) matching, and paid time off (vacation days, sick days, and 11 holidays).
- Exercise direct supervision over Event Managers and event staff on all facility events including, but not limited to, guest services and reception employees.
- Oversee, direct and/or collaborate the activities of employees engaged in providing event coordination, telecommunications, technical support, audio-visual services, food & beverage, event security, fire regulation compliance, exhibitor services, box office, parking and overall client satisfaction during events at the Convention Center
- Prepare departmental annual budget; recommend capital improvements; control and monitor departmental expenditures; assist in preparation of estimated revenues for facility budget
- Consult with exhibit managers, promoters, convention representatives, and others concerning physical set-up needs and requirements for licensed areas; prepare work orders and cost-estimates accordingly
- Inspect facilities to ensure they are being maintained properly for events
- Ensure accuracy in computing of costs for post-event billing of services and equipment rental charges
- Review and approve final billing to facility users prior to settlement or release of invoice
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service
- Conduct planning and operational meetings as required to ensure smooth coordination of event activities
- Assist sales managers in preparation of pre-booking cost estimates
- Track, record and report labor allocations in all areas of functional responsibility for purposes of forecasting, benchmarking and budgeting
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities of all event related programs and activities
- Conduct a variety of industry operational studies
- Responsible for monitoring client survey scores and implementing processes to improve as needed
- Interpret and apply all relevant federal, state and local regulations
- Recruit, interview, select, train, motivate and evaluate event staff
- Provide administrative and professional leadership and direction for all event related activities
- Recommend and implement goals, objectives, and practices for providing effective and efficient customer service
- Implement disciplinary procedures as required with events staff
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, contractors and facility users
- Recognize challenges analyze and identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of organizational objectives
- Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures
- Provide excellent customer service assistance to internal and external clients
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited college/university with major coursework in facility management, marketing, business administration or related field preferred
- Seven to ten (7-10) plus years of increasingly responsible facility management.
- 7+ years people leadership experience
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programs.
- Understanding of the booking system; terminology, reporting, programming and troubleshooting.
- An understanding of group sales methodology, processes and techniques.
- Knowledge of operational characteristics of events, including crowd management and control techniques; fire and public safety regulations, food service practices,
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in the English language, both orally and in writing
- Self-motivated with excellent interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to function and make management decisions in a fast paced high pressure environment with strong attention to detail and organization
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including, early mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays and extended number of consecutive days.
- Event management experience in a stadium, arena, convention center or public assembly facility setting highly preferred.
- Experience with AutoCAD preferred.
- Production experience/knowledge involving concert set up, audio, video, lighting, and rigging preferred.