In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
The Sous Chef will actively supervise, coach, counsel, direct, train and mentor employees in meeting company quality standards. The Sous Chef will actively and independently manage all aspects of employee relations to ensure a positive, harmonious, compliant and cooperative work environment.
This is a key position for the effective and profitable operation of the business. The employee must maintain excellent attendance and be available to work a variable event-driven schedule which includes evenings and weekends. Open availability, professional presentation, outstanding interpersonal skills, self-direction and strong management and independent decision-making skills are required.
- Supervises all line set-up, prep and breakdown activities. Responsible for in-service delegation of tasks to line personnel.
- Supervises all buffet, beverage, break, and carving table set-up and breakdown. Responsible for set-up of all equipment necessary for above mentioned areas, including but not limited to: chaffing dishes, sternos, china, serving ware, silverware, bowls and platters, heating lamps, and cutting boards
- Assists Executive Sous Chef with fulfilling kitchen record keeping and administrative requirements including food inventories and ordering of food products. Responsible for organizing employee work schedules, ensuring appropriate coverage for all kitchen areas.
- Measure, mix and cook ingredients according to recipes
- Use a variety of pots, pans, knives and other equipment to prepare and serve food.
- Maintain a clean kitchen. At the end of the day there should be NO food debris on the floor, walls, equipment, work tables, ceilings or any other surface located with-in the kitchen area. This same standard must be maintained in all food production areas outside of the main kitchen.
- Ensures kitchen staff are aware of work place expectations by providing on-going assistance, training and mentoring to kitchen staff. Promote a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative workplace environment by working side by side with staff.
- Assists Executive Sous Chef to ensure quality, consistency and concept are maintained. Monitors production of food preparation, ensuring recipe specifications, portion controls, and kitchen timings are met. Monitors all food served relative to appearance, temperature, sanitary and quality standards.
- Monitor events, materials and surroundings.
- Guide, direct and motivate kitchen employees.
- Ensure that all food safety standards are followed.
- Communicate with supervisors, peers and subordinates.
- Make decisions and solve problems. Organize, plan and prioritize work.
- Evaluate information against standards.
- Carry out ideas, programs, systems or products.
- Document and record all personnel discipline information. Work with Human resources for personnel discipline issues.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Sous Chef.
- High school diploma or equivalent GED.
- Minimum of 3 years in similar position in an upscale banquet, hotel or convention center setting with prior supervisory experience.
- State issued Health Certificate and immunizations are required.
- Technical proficiency and experience demonstrating verifiable knowledge of food preparation methods.
- Ability to positively interact with diverse personalities, including co-workers, subordinates, guests and purveyors in a variety of work situations. Must have active listening and effective communication skills.
- Ability to develop results-oriented staff through effective training, evaluation, motivation, coaching and counseling. Ability to assist others in developing needed skills for effective job performance.
- Ability to positively distribute responsibility to others to meet objectives and achieve desired results.
- Ability to recognize problems and to creatively and expeditiously find solutions. Ability to set priorities and use initiative; solid decision-maker.
- Ability to be detail-oriented, multi-task and effectively prioritize in a continuously changing environment.
- Ability to be self-directed while working in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; able and willing to work nights, weekends and long hours.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to speak clearly so that listeners may understand.
- Must be able to make fast, simple, repeated movements of fingers, hands and wrists.
- Ability to bend, stretch, twist or reach out with the body, arms and/or legs.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull or carry heavy objects.
- Must have a good sense of taste and smell.
- Must be Serve Safe certified.
- Knowledge of and skill in using computer software, including MS Word/ Excel/ Outlook.
- Ability to work closely with kitchen staff, but also spend time alone cooking.
- Must be able to supervise, coach, and train employees.
- Provide excellent service to customers.
- General knowledge for the health and safety of patrons and staff.
- Ability to express ideas clearly when speaking or in writing.
- Ability to read and understand written information
- Identify problems and review information.
- Must be constantly aware of frequently changing events in cooking processes.
- Ability to repeat the same physical activities.
- Must maintain high level of concentration.
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Knowledge of the rules and uses of numbers in mathematics. Areas of knowledge include arithmetic, algebra, geometry and statistics.
- Knowledge of US Foods Menu Profit Pro a plus.