In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
The Sales Manager assists in assuring the overall success of the facility by soliciting and booking events for the Durham Convention Center. Works with the client on negotiation of space and rates for proposals and contractual terms. Works closely with adjoining hotel to secure long-term groups with room nights.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (including, but not limited to):
- Meet specified goals and objectives for facility.
- Promote the convention center to all potential clients; conduct facility tours; answer questions and provide information regarding facility services, policies and procedures; and assist clients in finalizing booking arrangements.
- Main Sales contact for all groups within assigned market.
- Set appointments and make outside calls to potential clients.
- Make required solicitation calls.
- Research, identify and establish the appropriateness of groups for the facility.
- Attend Industry events and tradeshows.
- Prepare proposals and license agreements.
- Communicate clearly and concisely in all correspondence, both orally and written, to client
- Enter and maintain complete and accurate information in Ungerboeck EBMS software.
- Provide assistance and staff support to the Director of Sales & Marketing.
- Serve as a liaison with industry representatives, the general public, and other convention center departments and divisions.
- Negotiate effectively with potential clients.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those who contacted in the course of work.
- Provide excellent customer service assistance to internal and external clients.
NON ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Advanced computer proficiency and Microsoft products knowledge, to include: Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Training on industry software will be provided.
- Multitask oriented, organized, and focused on customer service.
- Knowledgeable in the procedures, methods, and techniques of sales.
- Experience with event scheduling and booking procedures.
- Accurate financial reporting and forecasting.
- Knowledgeable in food, beverage, and hospitality practices.
- Must be constantly aware of changing events, such as staff or supply shortages.
- Applicants must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19; proof required before hiring.
- Two to four years of increasingly responsible sales experience, preferably in a convention center or a major hotel.
- Experience in corporate market preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in business administration, hotel and restaurant management, or a related field. A combination of education and experience may be substituted.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, as required.
- Knowledge of EBMS software preferred.
- Experience in public facility highly preferred.