In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
The General Manager is responsible for the efficient, professional and profitable operation of Richard M Borchard Regional Fairgrounds. In addition to managing the day to day business operations, the General Manager solicits new sources of revenue, both on and off the venue property.
This role will pay a wage of $80,000 to $115,000.
For FT roles: Benefits: Health, Dental and Vision insurance, 401(k) savings plan, 401(k) matching, and paid time off (vacation days, sick days, and 11 holidays).
- Arrange for and otherwise book Events at the venue, develop and maintain relationships with reputable promoters, local market contacts, agents and talent affiliates to attract concerts, shows, entertainment events, etc.
- Administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: HR, Sales and Marketing, quality assurance, energy efficiency, safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management practices, or other areas as needed.
- Generate for client/corporate in a timely manner financial and other reports detailing the venue activities.
- Prepare a proposed annual Operating Budget and submit such proposed budget to client/corporate.
- Oversee day to day operation, ensuring technical and staff resource needs for all events, oversees plans for allocating those resources, and successfully manages their efficient implementation.
- Ensure all agreements made regarding the venue are in compliance with the management contract as well as local, state, and federal law. Provide final approval on all estimates, contracts, event details, and event folders. Settle events as necessary.
- Provide direction and support to the Finance team throughout the year including preparation of financial statements, payroll, budget, and audit.
- Serve as Manager on Duty for events.
- Develop capital improvement projects each year to be approved by the client.
- Communicate with client (Contract Administrator) and other client contacts regularly to ensure good lines of communication.
- Represent the company at work-related functions and special events outside of the venue.
- Other duties as assigned by Regional Vice President.
- Bachelor’s degree or better from an accredited college or university in Business/Hospitality Management or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years management experience in an Arena, Convention Center, Hotel or other similar public assembly facility.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of event solicitation and presentation, public relations, advertising and media relations and event planning, facility operations, budget preparation and personnel management.
- Ability to apply conflict resolution and problem-solving skills in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to express ideas clearly through both oral and written communication.
- Superior Sales and Marketing skills.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and control.
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations.
- Effectively work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, volunteers, management staff and guests in a clear, professional and courteous manner which fosters a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
- Ability to make sound business/operations decisions quickly and under pressure.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English.
- Solid working knowledge of computer applications: Microsoft office, POS systems, timekeeping systems.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented, fast-paced, event-driven environment.
- Possess a thorough working knowledge of all existing concessions and premium services locations: geographical location, equipment, evacuation procedures, adjacent employee and guest areas, and facility access.
- Possess valid Food Handlers certificate and Alcohol Service Permit if required by state or local government.
- Possess thorough working knowledge of all applicable sanitation requirements, food preparation guidelines, alcohol service policies, safety standards, etc. pertaining to OVG and venue concession and premium services operations.
- Ability to calculate basic and complex math functions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages).
- Ability to handle cash accurately and responsibly.
- Ability to consistently adhere to the highest standards of integrity, professionalism, ethics and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently with little direction.