Monumental Sports & Entertainment (“MSE”) is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in North America with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates four professional sports teams: the NBA’s Washington Wizards, NHL’s Washington Capitals, WNBA’s Washington Mystics, AFL’s Washington Valor and the AFL’s Baltimore Brigade, to start operations in the 2017 season and the anticipated acquisition of a D-League NBA Basketball team before the 2018-19 season. Additionally, MSE owns Team Liquid, one of the leading e-sports teams in the industry. The company also owns and operates the Verizon Center, the premier sports and entertainment venue in the mid-Atlantic, based in the center of Washington, D.C. The company oversees the management of Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals, and George Mason University’s EagleBank Arena. The company has partnered with Washington D.C. and Events DC to build a new state-of-the-art Entertainment and Sports Arena at the St. Elizabeth’s campus in Ward 8 in Washington, D.C. which will become the practice facility for the Washington Wizards and home court of the Washington Mystics. Monumental Sports Network, a digital platform that covers the region’s sports and entertainment news across mobile and OTT streaming devices, is also owned by MSE.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company:
- We provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- We champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve on a daily basis.
- We work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- We measure our performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are data-driven.
- We prize leadership, but we value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- We innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- We have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: This position will assist with all in-game, game-day and day-to-day communications responsibilities for the Washington Mystics, Washington Valor, and Baltimore Brigade.
- Coordinate all in-game/game day media relations requirements to include seating charts, credential & parking lists, next game packets, game night documents
- Oversee content, design and production of media guides and playoff guides
- Work within template to complete game notes for all AFL home and away games, Mystics games, all preseason games and all postseason games
- Maintain player, coach and front office bios
- Assist with support materials for various campaigns throughout the year (All-Star, end-of-year awards, etc.)
- Write and distribute press releases and media advisories as assigned
- Responsible for statistical & archival upkeep (e.g. player, coach and team performance charts, information for notes, team records, league records, etc.)
- Help facilitate player and staff interviews/call-ins/photo shoots/video shoots with media
- Assist with logistics surrounding special events (press conferences, media day, draft, training camp, playoffs, etc.)
- Research and distribute media clippings (print, online and broadcast)
- Proactively work to solicite coverage for each team from local and national media outlets
- Travel with team as assigned (training camp, other player/team functions, games)
- Produce postgame recap stories for AFL games
- Assist with social media platforms as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of one year of media relations experience, preferably in a sports/entertainment organization
- Desktop publishing experience (both Mac and PC preferred)
- Ability to manage, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills
- Willingness to work non-conventional hours (nights, weekends, holidays, etc.)
- Strong working knowledge of media guidelines, tendencies and dynamics