The Sous Chef will manage the direction of the kitchen and stewarding department’s daily activities in accordance with Ovations policies and objectives in an effort to ensure guest satisfaction and profitability. This position is responsible for assisting the Executive Chef with the overall kitchen operations, including food and labor cost controls.
The Sous Chef is responsible for managing the stewarding operation and will actively supervise, coach, counsel, direct, train and mentor employees in meeting company quality standards, and will independently initiate and authorize all employment actions such as hiring, termination, suspension, discipline, promotion and transfer. The Sous Chef will actively and independently manage all aspects of employee relations to ensure a positive, harmonious, compliant and cooperative work environment.
This is a key position for the effective and profitable operation of the business. The employee must maintain excellent attendance and be available to work a variable event-driven schedule which includes evenings and weekends. Open availability, professional presentation, outstanding interpersonal skills, self-direction and strong management and independent decision-making skills are required.
Spectra, an industry leader in sports, entertainment and venue management, is dedicated to recruiting and developing individuals with the skills, experience, desire, and values to contribute to the continued growth and success of our organization. Together, with our 250+ sports & entertainment venue partners, we transform events into experiences! These experiences create excitement, turn heads, and make memories. Come Join Us! You can learn more about Spectra at www.spectraexperiences.com/
- Manages the Stewarding department’s daily activities including set up, breakdown, and cleaning of dish machine, organizing of storage areas, and monitoring inventory levels.
- Manages and oversees all line set-up, prep and breakdown activities. Responsible for in-service delegation of tasks to line personnel.
- Ensures budgeted food percentages are achieved through effective control measures including portion controls, kitchen timings, food inventory rotation measures, receiving and food storage procedures, inventory controls, effective purchasing procedures, kitchen security procedures and waste control.
- Controls labor costs through effective scheduling of kitchen staff, cross-training and development of employees.
- Ensures that the purchasing and preparation of all food products meet Ovations’ standards of quality and consistency. Responsible for the development of menus, ensuring quality, consistency and style of concept are maintained. Monitors production of food preparation ensuring recipe specifications, portion controls and kitchen timings are met. Monitors all food served relative to appearance, temperature, sanitary and quality standards.
- Coordinates the storage, maintenance and repair of all kitchen equipment to ensure operational readiness.
- Assists with the delivery and set-up of catered services and food service areas as needed.
- Assists the Executive Chef in kitchen staff skills training and development, including departmental orientation of new employees. Provides leadership and support to the entire kitchen staff; builds morale and encourages empowerment of staff.
- Maintains a positive and compliant employee relations climate. Assists the Executive Chef with the staffing, training, evaluation and counseling of kitchen staff. Promotes support and communication with entire staff. Positively interacts with front of house staff. Rapidly solves problems.
- Ensures compliance with health, sanitation, safety and employment regulations by clearly communicating and reinforcing standards and procedures to kitchen staff.
- Assists the Executive Chef in fulfilling kitchen record keeping and administrative requirements including food inventories and invoicing of food products. Responsible for organizing employee work schedules, ensuring appropriate coverage for all kitchen areas.
- Promotes teamwork among staff through effective communication, follow through and goal setting. Leads by example and thorough instruction to effectively obtain quality management of product, service and philosophy of concept.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Technical proficiency and experience demonstrating verifiable knowledge of food preparation methods.
- Ability to positively interact with diverse personalities, including co-workers, subordinates, guests and purveyors in a variety of work situations. Must have active listening and effective communication skills.
- Ability to develop results-oriented staff through effective training, evaluation, motivation, coaching and counseling. Ability to assist others in developing needed skills for effective job performance.
- Ability to positively distribute responsibility to others to meet objectives and achieve desired results.
- Ability to recognize problems and to creatively and expeditiously find solutions. Ability to set priorities and use initiative; solid decision-maker.
- Ability to be detail-oriented, multi-task and effectively prioritize in a continuously changing environment.
- Ability to be self-directed while working in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; able and willing to work nights, weekends and long hours.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 2-3 years kitchen management experience in a full service restaurant or events venue.
- Demonstrated and verifiable track record of meeting projected costs.
- Professional appearance and presentation required.
- Knowledge of and skill in using computer software, including MS Word/Excel/Outlook.
- Maintains a current Food Handler’s card and alcohol service permit if required by state or local government.
- Working knowledge of employee scheduling in a hospitality environment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certification in a nationally recognized sanitation program.
Performing the duties of this position involves extensive and continuous standing and walking. Routine activities require the employee to be able to reach with hands and arms, sit, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 75 pounds. The vision requirements include the ability to adjust focus, peripheral vision and close vision.
SPECTRA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT EMPLOYER