The Event Manager will manage all aspects of assigned events in Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium and Fairgrounds from the initial contact indicating interest in having an event at the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium and Fairgrounds through the end of the event to ensure overall client and guest satisfaction. Event managers also oversee building operations including but not limited to repairs and maintenance, security and parking issues, coordinate communication between event related staff and client, and interact with local public safety officials, general services, and third party vendors to ensure events run smoothly.
The Event Manager also plans and coordinates multiple events; supervise the work of facility event staff; serve as liaison between facility users and facility staff, service providers and other stakeholders. Provides support and assistance with catering activities. Is active in the profitable management of events and conducts administrative support as necessary.
Spectra, an industry leader in sports, entertainment and venue management, is dedicated to recruiting and developing individuals with the skills, experience, desire, and values to contribute to the continued growth and success of our organization. Together, with our 250+ sports & entertainment venue partners, we transform events into experiences! These experiences create excitement, turn heads, and make memories. Come Join Us! You can learn more about Spectra at www.spectraexperiences.com/Responsibilities:
- Communicate and meet with facility customers in advance of events and assist in determining event needs
- Supervise operations and support staff including housekeeping, set-up, utilities, maintenance, security, and banquet/event staff
- Coordinate facility events with exclusive and outside service contractors including food & beverage, audio/visual, telecommunications, decorators, etc.
- Prepare pre-event cost estimates for facility customers
- Prepare written details and requirements for each event; prepare floor plans and ensure compliance with applicable fire, building, and safety codes; communicate changes before and during events
- Identify and secure equipment and services for events including internal inventory and required third party equipment and services
- Serve as a facility representative at events; facilitate pre and post-event walk through to assess facility condition; enforce facility policies and procedures throughout each event; identify and resolve event challenges; resolve public complaints; problem solve as necessary
- Assist General Manager with prospective client site tours demonstrating the benefits of the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium and Fairgrounds and providing an overview of how the facility can best suit the needs of the client’s event
- Develop and control event budgets including preparing pre-event financial estimates and completing post-event financial settlements based on contractual requirements; ensure timely and accurate event information is delivered to the finance department for settlement/invoicing purposes (currently seven (7) days)
- Prepare written evaluations of assigned events; calculate, prepare, and submit summary billing statements
- Create and distribute written details and requirements (Event Summary) for each event; prepare premise plans and ensure compliance with applicable fire, building, and safety codes; communicate changes before and during events
- Ensure that all event insurance certificates, licenses and permits required for production are obtained in a timely manner
- Inspect event space prior to events opening
- Guide clients in preparation of events by interpreting and explaining contract provisions, policies and procedures
- Advance and communicate all event information to appropriate staff, client representatives, and necessary City of Memphis Divisions
- Troubleshoot during event preparation and event to ensure that all setups are correct and sufficient, including making final decisions about policy, procedures, billing and staffing.
- Oversee all production elements; including but not limited to: security, IT, ATM services, Communications, facility requirements, guest services, operations, cleaning, contracted labor, vendors and other event-related contract services, from set up, to event conclusion, including move out
- Create work schedules for all staff, including third party staff
- Responsible for the Events department role in the execution of event contracts and rental agreements
- Act as facility manager-on-duty for the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium and Fairgrounds as required
- As assigned, conduct a variety of industry related studies and recommend modifications to departmental service delivery methods and operational policies and procedures as appropriate
- Answer questions and provide information to facility customers; conduct facility tours as needed
- Possession of or ability to obtain a current CPR certificate
- Ability to anticipate and fulfill the needs of LBMS customers according to Spectra policies and procedures
- Investigate and resolve event related complaints in a professional manner ensuring customer satisfaction
- Ensure that the facility is cleaned prior to, during and after all events to maintain building appearance
- Knowledge of crowd management and crowd control techniques
- Assists in the overall effective management of Catering and Concession operations
- Verifies employee timecards - weekly
- Produces the LBMS Settlement report for all events
- Analyze challenges, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of organizational objectives
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, contractors and facility users
- Work a flexible schedule including early mornings, days, evenings, overnight, weekends, holidays, extended (long) work days and extended numbers of days as outlined by supervisor
- Make sound decisions that are in line with LBMS policies and procedures under pressure and respond with
- Collect payments for events as outlined in contracts
- Directs service contractors
- Responsible for driving to/from various areas of venue to set and manage events (including move in and move out) and to tour the Stadium, Tiger Lane, Parking Lots, Pipkin Building, Creative Arts Building or any other area necessary to provide services required or requested.
- Minimum of three (3) years of increasingly responsible event management experience in a multiuse facility, stadium, arena or other public assembly facility setting
- Bachelor’s degree or better from an accredited college or university. Major course work in facility management, hospitality, marketing, business administration or related field preferred.
- Additional years of experience may be substituted for formal education
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office programs; experience with AutoCAD preferred.
- Knowledge of operational characteristics of events, including crowd management and control techniques; fire and public safety regulations, ADA regulations, American Athletics Football Conference regulations and relevant federal, state, and local regulations
- Self-motivated with excellent interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to function and make management decisions in a fast paced high pressure environment
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including long nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays as needed
- Operational characteristics of event management
- Customer service practices
- Crowd management and control techniques
- Fire and public safety regulations
- Basic understanding of food service practices
- Basic understanding of A/V equipment and systems
- Relevant federal, state, and local regulations
- Must have computer skills in Microsoft office applications and word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation, and internet software
- Valid Beer service permit in the State of Tennessee
- Familiar with inventory cost control and menu planning
- Cash handling
SPECTRA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT EMPLOYER.