Quantitative Analyst, Research & Development - Philadelphia Flyers (Voorhees · NJ · Open to Remote)
The Philadelphia Flyers are seeking a full time (on-site or remote first) quantitative data analyst within the hockey operations department. This position will report directly to the Director of Hockey Analytics and collaborate with other members of the analytics department in the development of data driven tools. The primary task of the analyst will be use all available data to aid the organization in making informed and impactful decisions.
Responsibilities: this is a brief overview of tasks you will be responsible for.
- Research, develop and test quantitative & predictive models to support hockey operations.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to design and deploy decision support systems and tools.
- Create data visualizations and presentations that communicate methodology and key findings.
- Create reproducible and automated reports for internal use.
- Assist and contribute to the analytics team current projects by providing code review and feedback.
- Contribute to development and maintenance of current internal packages and code repositories.
- Demonstrated proficiency with R, Python or comparable statistical scripting language.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field, preferably in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Predictive Analytics, Statistics or demonstrated work experience in one of these areas.
- Experience with predictive modeling and machine learning.
- Experience with Cloud Computing (Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, or Google Cloud Platform).
- Ability to translate hockey tactics, concepts and advanced terminology into code equivalents.
- Experience analyzing large data sets using Apache Spark/Hadoop, or similar big data tools.
- Experience with API and JSON data.
- Experience with version control through Git.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong ability to work independently, be self-directed and demonstrate initiative.
- Able and willing to work some nights and weekends when required.
If Remote: ability to travel to Philadelphia, PA and/or Voorhees, NJ regularly
Are you proficient with one of SQL, R or Python? If yes, please state which language(s)?
Do you have a GitHub repository or another example to showcase your source code and analysis? If so, please provide your username.
On your first day on the job you are given access to complete in game player and puck tracking dataset. Describe ONE research project you would like to explore immediately and what impact to the Flyers you envision the project will have. (300 word max)