*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
ASM Global is the world's leading venue management and services company, connecting people through the power of live experience. We are an inclusive culture that strives to be a leader in diversity and social and environmental issues. We create new opportunities for team members to grow and develop their skills and careers.
The Director of Sales, Private Events will focus on cultivating new private event business for the Oakland Arena, in addition to maintaining current client base and ensuring client satisfaction. They will recruit, train, and mentor the arena sales team, build strong community partnerships, and maximize private event revenue at the Oakland Arena. This position is responsible for developing yearly event sales goals, as well as managing the P&L for private events. The ideal candidate will have a passion for sales, team leadership and excellent communication skills, a client-focused mentality, strong work ethic, and an ability to balance a large number of tasks in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for a strong closer with extensive experience in event sales & hospitality; cold calling and in-person prospecting is expected.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build, manage, and provide leadership to the day-to-day operations of the sales team, while maintaining focus on the company strategic goals
- Perform revenue forecasts and profit/loss reports that illustrate your team's overall performance against sales goals
- Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental Private Events budget, the arena sales and marketing plan, and other assigned financial plans which support the overall objectives of the arena
- Work as part of the senior leadership team of the arena to positively impact the effectiveness of the operation of the arena
- Work closely with the ASM Global Corporate Sales & Marketing Team
- Conduct market analysis and devise strategies for generating new business
- Develop new accounts, maintain existing accounts, and implement sales strategies to achieve revenue goals and maximize profits for the arena while maintaining client satisfaction
- Manage business on the books successfully and work pipeline of Inquiries, Prospects, Tentative and Definite bookings
- Close sales by prospecting and developing relationships, analyzing needs and opportunities, developing effective proposals, negotiating terms, documenting activity, and thoroughly following up on issues pertaining to the sale and delivery of services to customers in a timely manner
- Ensures excellence in guest satisfaction through effective training of staff, commitment to a "Do Whatever It Takes" attitude" and a hands-on, lead by example management style.
- Work with local Key Influencers including Hotels, Convention & Visitor Bureaus, Chambers, Retail Outlets, Office Buildings and Condo/Apartment buildings
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Minimum 7+ years current sales experience, preferable in hospitality or an entertainment venue focused on event sales
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and related experience and/or training
- 3+ years current B2C sales team management experience to include entry and mid experience levels
- Working knowledge of local and regional markets, venue operations, and special events industries
- Strong strategic and consultative selling skills
- Resourceful, innovative, and forward thinking, with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Expertise in financial analysis and planning, budgeting, and marketing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Can be trusted to act in a manner that is truthful and values direct, honest communication at all levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills; can effectively communicate and relate to all levels within and outside the organization; creates and builds positive and productive relationships
- Responds quickly and effectively to changing trends and circumstances; embraces change and welcomes fresh perspectives; learns from past mistakes and adjusts accordingly
- Professional verbal and written communication
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Excel, Word, and CRM Applications
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Significant skills and aptitude in leadership, judgment, decision making and resolution of complex issues.
- Ability to create strong relationships, lead a team and assign tasks through exemplary leadership skills.
- Ability to speak clearly to give instructions and explanations and listen/understand when communicating with staff, vendors, and clients
- Ability to write and compose correspondence, contracts, memos, and reports
- Demonstrate knowledge in the practice of and procedures related to all areas of event set up, tear down & conversions.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the operational procedures, facility capabilities, industry terminology, event-related services, and technical requirements for all the types of events anticipated at the facility.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results for multiple projects in a fast-paced setting.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Proactive problem solver and clear communicator.
- Ability to work extended hours on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to walk or otherwise move about frequently for several hours.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
ASM Global is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.